Learn from a master
Practice with our community
Cultivate a lifelong skill
Cooking Cantonese food can be overwhelming
Recipes are a great place to start...
...But they don't cover everything:
- I keep wasting ingredients because I don't know what else to make.
- Food keeps sticking to my wok. What am I doing wrong?
- It's hard to access Chinese ingredients. How can I substitute?
- Cooking Chinese food takes me forever because I don't know the proper techniques.
- I don't know how to troubleshoot what went wrong with my flavors & textures.
- I'm intimidated by recipes with a ton of steps, ingredients, and techniques.
- I have a family and wish I had more time to cook. How do I make it simpler and faster for myself?
And that leads to feeling overwhelmed (and unhealthy, expensive takeout dinners.) We don’t want that for you.
My dad's spent 50+ years as a chef and has taught millions of people how to cook.
Every night, he casually whips up 4-6 course meals for us. And he knows every trick in the book to make cooking simple, fun, and tasty. It'll work for you too!
It's fun, with fundamentals!
For my dad, Cantonese cooking is second nature because he's mastered the basics:
- Kitchen Setup: How do you setup & maintain your kitchen so it's easy to cook every day?
- Equipment: What gear do you actually need to cook Cantonese food? How do you make sure it lasts a lifetime?
- Technique: How do you effectively use a wok, spatula, knife, etc? What are the nuances?
- Ingredients: How do you buy and prepare ingredients for the optimal textures and flavors?
- Flavors: How do you balance ingredients to concoct the perfect flavors?
- Heat Control: How do you adjust heat for the various cooking methods - stir frying, steaming, stewing, etc.?
- Timing: How do you juggle cooking multiple dishes? What tricks do you use to save time?
- Presentation: How do you plate and present your food so it looks appetizing?
You can learn all of this, too!
AND - we’ve created the solution to help you get there 10x faster
(without 50+ years of trial and error!)
The Canto Cooking Club
Everything you need to know to build the foundation & intuition to cook and think like a Chinese chef.
This is everything you need to:
- Build the intuition to break free from recipes & cook with more soul, more love.
- Learn time-saving techniques to cook more efficiently
- Stop wasting ingredients by expanding your repertoire of dishes
- Cultivate a lifelong passion with people around the world
- Make restaurant-quality food that you're proud to share
- Set yourself up to cook more often and have fun in the process
- Avoid the frustration of ruined dishes - gain confidence from the moment you join
- Create memories & traditions cooking for the people you love
Your membership gives you access to:
Our exclusive, on-demand classes
Once you join, you can immediately jump into our step-by-step classes on Cantonese cooking fundamentals.
New class & recipe every month
Every month, you'll get a new in-depth class: complete with multiple videos, a mastery recipe, and cheatsheets to refer back to.
Our passionate, supportive community
The best way to build a skill is with others! Our community will help you grow, celebrate with you, and keep you accountable.
Your plan for mastering Cantonese cooking
Join the Canto Cooking Club
For just $11.99/month, you get access to all of our on-demand classes, mastery recipes, cheatsheats, and community.
Learn & practice at your own pace
Our on-demand classes are designed to be completed in order, but jump in anywhere you like at your own pace.
Enjoy the tasty food you'll cook!
Watch your skills improve, your lifestyle change, and your family thanking you for the delicious memories!
"Daddy Lau had brought me back to my roots. As a Chinese American living in Puerto Rico, it’s hard to find good authentic Cantonese food here. Daddy Lau’s videos has shown me how to make food that I used to eat when I was a kid growing up in New York."
- Doris C.
"I love how Daddy Lau describes the rationale behind key steps in the creation of the dish, this knowledge allows me to apply the principle to other dishes and make us seems like experienced cooks!!"
- Josh L.
"Love Daddy Lau's authentic recipes, easy to follow steps. He's not a big show off, has a a lot of knowledge and background information about ingredients, and everything is easy to veganize!"
- Benjamin S.
What will you gain in the Canto Cooking Club?
Know the what, when, how, and why behind Chinese ingredients & techniques.
Simplify cooking with fundamentals so you can "play" in the kitchen.
Learn from my dad's 50+ years of experience as a master Chinese chef.
Become a better cook alongside friends from all around the world.
Bring your family together to make memories eating delicious foods.
Understand how to pass down the richness of Cantonese cuisine, culture, and language.
Your step-by-step lesson plan
- Beginner's mindset: Even if you're already familiar with some Cantonese recipes, we explain the fundamentals you were never taught (with some nuances you probably don't know about!)
- Step-by-step learning: Each classes is designed to build on the skills learned on the previous classes. (But feel free to skip around!)
- Go at your own pace: Every class is on-demand, so you can learn and practice however it fits into your lifestyle.
CLASS HIGHLIGHT #1
The Equipment Essentials
What's my dad's must-have gear for a Cantonese kitchen?
- Utensils: What's the ideal spatula shape for a wok?
- Appliances: The basics of using gas vs electric stoves
- Cookware: Round vs flat-bottom woks? What are my dad's top 5 items?
Mastery Recipe: Making rice in a pot vs rice cooker
CLASS HIGHLIGHT #2
Ingredient Prep & Food Safety
What are all of my dad's tricks to extend the life of his ingredients?
- Perishables: Why storing vegetables upright matters & peering inside my dad's meat freezer
- Non-Perishables: How does my dad organize his pantry?
- Sauces & Condiments: Why do you cook sauces with boiled water?
Mastery Recipe: Beef & Broccoli (+ how to REALLY clean your broccoli)
CLASS HIGHLIGHT #3
Chinese Knife Skills: 101
Everything you need to know about maintaining and using a Chinese cleaver, the most versatile knife.
- Basics: What to look for in a knife & the anatomy of a Chinese cleaver
- Handling: How do you position your body, hands, and fingers for safe, efficient cutting?
- Cuts: What are the 10 essential cutting techniques?
Mastery Recipe: Smashed Cucumber Salad (+ how the 10 different cuts affect taste and texture)
Our full curriculum for 2023
- Equipment Essentials
- Kitchen Organization & Food Safety
- Knife Skills: 101
- Elements of Flavor: Savory Sauces
- Before the Cook: Prep
- Basics of Heat & Temperature
- Tossing & Turning: Spatula Basics
- Noodle Fundamentals
- Texture Control: Ingredients
- Elements of Flavor: Funk
- Texture Control: Moisture
- Elements of Flavor: Sweetness
- Controlling Appearance
- Elements of Flavor: Acid
- Non-meat Proteins: Mushrooms & Tofu
Every month, you'll get a new class on a fundamental aspect of Cantonese cooking (+ a mastery recipe + cheatsheets.)
We plan on doing this for many years, and our monthly price will increase as our library grows.
Join today to lock in the current pricing, forever! (You can cancel anytime.)
"As a Hispanic girl, I always believed Chinese food would be a complicated cooking process to learn, let alone to master, until I discovered Daddy Lau. He is the Chinese food shifu I've always dreamed of having. His teaching methods are so thorough but simplistic enough that it is incredibly easy to follow. My husband and I no longer order take out since I am now the designated Chinese food master."
- Selenis L.
"I so appreciate the patience and joy Daddy Lau has in teaching everyone how to perfect each dish. He helped fill the void I was missing and good food brings people together. I have shared the MWL channel with many family and friends and everyone has raved about the videos and results of the dishes they prepared."
- Nancy W.
"I love how wholesome and genuine Daddy Lau is. He’s able to help me reminisce my father’s Cantonese style cooking and also my late grandparents’. My father was so happy to see me recreate MWL’s recipes. Randy and family reminds me a lot of my own. I love how you guys are preserving not only the language but also these recipes for generations to come. Daddy Lau’s instructions are super easy to follow and simple. If you follow his instructions, you can achieve the dish like restaurant quality."